top of page

Photographer in the field

Updated: Jul 27, 2023

by Alexandria O’Brien

James “Jim” Allen Logue was born in Camden, New Jersey during

July of 1947. He was an only child, but found many interests to occupy

the time of his childhood. Among those was photography, particularly

portraits of people, which would become a lifelong passion before he

knew it. In his interview, he fondly recalls a Brownie Hawkeye as his

first camera model and the memories of carrying it with him on school

field trips. Starting in junior high and into high school, Jim submitted

Polaroid pictures taken at school events – football games, parades, etc. -

to the school and local newspapers for print.

After graduating high school, Jim attended the Brooks Institute of

Photography in Santa Barbra, California. Back in his hometown - while

still enrolled in classes at Glassboro State College - he opened his own

studio, operating out of Pitman Camera Stop and began his career in

professional photography. The subjects of his photos around this time,

were yearbook photos of college campuses and senior graduations.

While working and finishing his college degree, Jim received a

letter in the mail drafting him to serve in the United States' Army. Due

to his enrollment in college, he appealed these orders but was denied.

He recalls boarding a bus with 7 other men from his county one Tuesday

morning, then being taken to a facility where he passed his physical

examination. Then, his 8 weeks of basic training began in Fort Dix, New

Jersey. Following this, he spent 8 weeks in Fort Lewis, Washington State

finishing the Advanced Infantry Training program. Jim was flown to

Vietnam after his training was complete, alone despite the men who

had boarded with him. He was off into the unknown now, with not even

one familiar face to go with him.

But, he did have his camera.

I didn’t ask Jim a terrible number of questions about the years that

he served, but I did get some interesting information about the process of

sending and receiving film during that time. Film then, was kept in metal

canisters that were waterproof – which he notes being most important as

it rained everyday for the first 6-7 months. Each roll of film contained

20-36 frames for photos, and it only took 6 days total for him to send the

roll home to his father for printing and receive a proof sheet and a new

roll of film back.

When his company members would review the proof sheet with

him, they would ask if a copy could be made for them to send home to

their loved ones. For 50 cents, Jim would take their address and have a

copy made back at home and then mailed to the family of the soldier that

paid for it. He notes that this was special for his dad, to also have a

network of parents around the country whose son was also away at war.

After his service was complete, Jim returned home once again and

reopened his studio at Pitman Camera Stop. He worked on college and

high school yearbooks for a time, for Yearbook Associates a division of

Hallmark Color Labs in Miller Falls, Massachusetts and then Segal

Majestic, Inc. in Baltimore, Maryland. Jim had two children, a son and

daughter in his first marriage to Deanna Baum. He married his second

wife, Jeanne Delaney in 1981 and had two daughters with her. They will

celebrate their 42 nd wedding anniversary this year. Jim continued

working with Segal Majestic, on a new project, Elegant Images. Where

He established more photography studios, 23 total across the country.

He worked with Sony Corporation on digital photography. And he also

worked as a photographer at the US Naval Academy. For a decade

beginning in 1980, he took pictures of all the midshipmen, there and

activities, etc.

Forty years after his time in the Vietnam war ended, Jim began to

sort through the photos he had taken in the field. He self-published a

book through Blurb of 415 wartime photos at the advice of his good

friend (and former company member) Ben Perry and his psychologist.

The book was taken to an Fort Benning, Georgia, where he was

attending a Thirty First Infantry reunion. There he met Gary Ford. Gary

was an author, trying to identify a member of Jim’s company. After

seeing Jim’s book he ask if he was willing to work with him on a future


The project, which would later be known as Rain in Our Hearts,

began in 2011. Over the span of the next 5 years, Gary and Jim would

travel across the country to interview 71 living company members that

were willing to be featured in their book. They would ask questions

about the veteran’s life before the war, recall memories that brought

laughter and tears, and meet their family if they were present.

Unfortunately, there were many people he found that had passed away,

which he says was hard for him. But Gary and Jim did contact and visit

the families of the soldiers that had died during the war, and were able to

provide them pictures and stories of the young men that they had lost.

This was a rewarding experience for them.

When asked his most meaningful photos taken, Jim responded

that those shot during his service in Vietnam are dear to him. Unlike the

ones that were taken by the press, showing the ugliness of battle, Jim’s

photos capture the company’s daily life in the field. They serve as a reminder

that there was more to that time than war and very real people involved.

*Rain in Our Hearts showcases over 100 pictures taken by Jim during

his service, but he has almost 2,700 in total. These photos are stored in

the Texas Tech University, Vietnam Center and Archive.

*For more information about Jim’s time in the war, his company

member’s stories, or the exhibit Rain in Our Hearts please come by the

Galveston County Museum for a tour this summer (2023) and be sure to

purchase a copy of Gary Ford’s book, Rain in Our Hearts.

Pictured left to right: Gary Ford, Jim Logue, Rain in Our Hearts

36 views0 comments


bottom of page